Wednesday, March 22, 2006

What the heck's wrong with "Red Dawn"?

Apparently some bozo over at some new Washington Post conservative blog has proclaimed the 80's Patrick Swayze movie "Red Dawn" as the "greatest pro-gun movie ever", and now various liberal bloggers have come out half-seriously condemning the movie as the ultimate right-wing fantasy.

First of all, "Red Dawn" is an awesome movie. If you haven't seen it, you should. Preferably you should see it while you're still about 10 or 11 or so, as I suspect it's awesome-ness is directly proportional to how cool you think it would be to run around in the woods with guns and blow-up commies. When I was 10 I thought that was pretty damn cool.

But secondly, it's just a movie. Please right-wingers, don't claim it. I'm a liberal and I love the movie. And please left-wingers, don't hate it. It's just a movie, and it really would be fun to run around in the forest and blow up commies.

5 comments:

adam said...

Yeah, our Young Conservatives group showed that at a movie night last year. My friends and I also watched it. It's really a pretty typical crappy 80s movie, and while I don't care about its politics, I think you have to admit there's some creepy stuff with that girl falling for that old commander guy they find...

Alexander Wolfe said...

Dammit! So right-wingers DO think it's their movie!

Well, we'll show them. I'm getting some Dems together and we're going to watch Rocky IV...

Bravo 2-1 said...

Moment of irony time: odd that the right wingers are thumping their chests with a movie about insurgents.

Maybe they subconsciously hate America?

Alexander Wolfe said...

Well see it's okay when it's our insurgents. But those mosque bombing Arabs? Forget it!

Nat-Wu said...

Adam, who wouldn't fall for Powers Booth? I mean, just look at his name!

I'm not a Democrat, but can I watch Rocky with you?