Thursday, April 20, 2006

A challenger appears

In regards to my previous post about flat tax, someone has taken it upon themselves to point out supposed "flaws" in my argument. I don't usually make a whole new post out of a comment and a response, but it's damn late and I worked a long time on writing the reply, and I think both comment and response are worth reading so here it is.

At 4/19/2006 9:06 PM, Anonymous said...
Interesting but I see two problems with your analysis. First a minor one and that is that your numbers are wrong. You combine monthly with weekly numbers when there aren't exactly 4 weeks in each month. If you look at only the yearly numbers, I think you'll find that Joe actually pays a rate of 32.5% and George pays a rate of 15.3166%. Still not good but not as bad as 40 and 16.

Second, and much more importantly to a flat tax, I've never seen any tax idea , flat tax included, that didn't have a substantial exemption on the first x amount of income. By ignoring that, you basically codify your result into your numbers.

Looking at a simplified Steve Forbes flat tax, let's say that we only have 1 exemption and it's 15000. Plugging that into your numbers, I think you'll find that Joe pays a 9.0625% rate while George pays a 9.7938% rate. Just for fun, I ran a Bill Gates who makes $500 an hour and his tax rate would have been 9.9941%. As you make more money, you would asymptotically approach the actual rate because the exemption would be a smaller number in relation to your income.

No tax would ever be so regressively set up as yours. Perhaps a pure libertarian might envision a flat tax such as yours but I'm guessing that most of the rest of us would expect those who are truly misfortunate to not pay taxes on a sizable portion of their income.

Of course, none of this speaks to the core issue of whether it makes sense to desire a tax rate related to disposable income. Maybe that can be another post. ;-)

Scotch


Actually your first critique is incorrect, and I see exactly where you made a mistake in your math. You criticize me for relating a week to a month, when there is not truly a four week month. But as I said “For Joe, that means $400 a week, $1,600 a month (4-week month, that is)” so I was obviously using a 4-week month. I chose to use a month-to-month comparison because that is actually how most people understand their income and pay their bills. That is better, I think, than using the larger relationship of the year, just because of the way most people’s finances are structured.

But that does not mean that the relationship I have between the week and the month is arbitrary or untrue. The “month” I’m using is a 28 day month, which, again, I said I was using in the first place. That makes a month exactly 4 weeks of 7 days. Weeks have more of a relationship to a year, that is true. There are exactly 52 weeks in a year.. The reason your numbers come out wrong is because weeks have a 4-1 ratio to lunar months, and a 52-1 ratio to a solar year. In other words, 4w=1mo, and 52w=1yr. Ok, so what’s the relationship between lunar months and years then? We use a simple ratio:
X mos./4wks=1yr/52wks. Multiply the 52 across, you get 52/4mos.=1yr. 52 divided by 4 is 13. Oops, looks like you forgot that 12 lunar months don’t make a year. You noted that months don’t have a true relationship to a year, but you used the monthly COL and related it to a year without taking that into account. That’s sloppy. You multiplied the monthly COL by 12 to get a yearly COL of $14,400. But in truth, you should have multiplied it by 13 to get a yearly COL of $15,600. And then you factored that number into the disposable income (D). And then you used my ratio to prove your erroneous point. Let me demonstrate.

T%=(G*R)/D*100

Wrong: t%=(20800*0.1)/6400*100=32.5
Right: t%=(20800*.01)/5200*100=40%

Ok, now that I’ve demonstrated that you did the numbers wrong on that, I’m not going to feel the need to defend myself from your mathematical criticism again. If I say it’s right and you say it’s wrong, I think I’ll trust my own math skills. But I did what you asked and took your $15,000 exemption into account. I found out that even with your “flat” tax, the actual tax effect is regressive against the poorest.

Bill makes 50 times what Joe makes and 25 times what George makes. George makes twice what Joe makes. But with a minimum cost of living of $15,600 a year, Joe’s D (which is calculated before taxes of any sort) is $5200. George’s is $26000. Bill’s is $1024400. Bill’s D is 197 times Joe’s, and 39.4 times George’s. Now compare the 10% tax with no exemption against each income. J pays $2080 in taxes, George pays $4160, and Bill pays $104000. If you compare those ratios, that means Bill pays 50 times what Joe does in taxes and 25 times what George pays. That stands to reason because Bill makes 50 times what Joe makes and 25 times what George makes. Look back up though, and compare that to the relative D’s each man takes home. In terms of those, Bill gets 197 times the amount of money Joe has for only 50 times the taxes. Here though, is where you want to argue that the flat tax exemption makes a difference. Let’s look at it.
Using your exemption, Joe now only pays $580 in taxes annually. That’s a nice break for him. Bill pays 102,500. So right now we can notice that Bill is paying a lot closer to what he use to pay than Joe is. What, could this flat tax and exemption actually be fair? Further evidence for your argument: Bill’s taxes are now 176.72 times what Joe’s are.

But wait, there’s more! Let’s just apply this equation right now and see what happens when we factor in our friend’s exemption.

For Joe: t=((20800-15000)*0.1)/5200*100=11.15%
For Bill: t=((1040000-15000)*0.1)/1024400*100=10.01%

What’s that? The percentages you got were wrong? Oops. Again, Joe is paying proportionally more in taxes than Bill. I’m not going to put them up, but I also used George’s numbers, and guess what, he also paid proportionally more in taxes than Bill. Those three points suggest that the part of the line where someone would pay proportionally less tax than Bill is where they have a higher income than Bill. Yeah, that’s a fair tax right there.

And even if we were to manage things so that Joe paid only as much in actual taxes as Bill, I would question the values of anyone who would take proportionally as much from the poor as the rich. Why is it right for you to take 1 dollar from a guy who has 10? Just because you took 10 from a guy who has 100? That doesn’t make sense. And if you still said to the poor man that you at least needed a quarter, I would ask you what is wrong with you? If we’re so strapped for cash that we need quarters from the poor, then why don’t we just take dollars from the rich? Wouldn’t that make a hell of a lot more sense?

Among a vast horde of problems with the flat-tax lies this one: it’s supposed to replace the revenue stream of the income tax, but overall would produce something like less than half the current tax revenue. Where the hell else is that money supposed to come from? I know that Forbes’ plan does not include taxes on dividends and the kinds of things that typically only earn a great deal of money for the wealthy. Other flat-tax backers might include stocks and bonds and such, but even so that wouldn’t make up the deficit. Where is that money supposed to come from, huh?

The only tax that makes sense is a progressive tax, somewhat like what we have now, but with much higher rates at the upper end. I would not want to suggest that anyone ever be forced to pay more than 50% of their earnings in tax, but if you stop and think about it, you’ll see that it’s not really an onerous idea. Let me demonstrate this with a real-world example.

Gmail (Google’s free email), gives you a nominal storage capacity. That capacity is increasing 100% of the time (but even if it only increased in stepped increments at specific times this would still be true). I myself am using an increasing portion of that capacity. When I first signed on, Google said I had 2GB of storage. That is an awesome number, and I believe it will be a long, long time before I come close to using that much. But as I said, Google is always increasing my Gmail capacity. I started with 2GB, and am at 2.716GB now. And as I said, I’ve been using my gmail (constantly, as a matter of fact). In the same time that my gmail capacity has increased by 716MB, the actual amount stored in it has increased by 340MB. Ok, now when I had used 10MB and still had only 2GB of storage, I had used ½ a percent of storage. At this point, I am using 13% of my storage capacity. But because the stored amount and the storage capacity grow at least in a direct proportion of 1 to 1, I can never use the maximum capacity of my gmail, even when it’s 99% full. At this rate, when my gmail is 99% full, I’ll still have a capacity more than I can use at the rate that I grow.

Now don’t make the mistake of thinking that I’m applying that growth to an individual taxpayer. What it demonstrates is that on a scale of people with money vs. tax taken, at the very top someone could be taxed at 99% and still have more money than they can spend, even if they spend money as freely as I write emails. That is of course dependent on an economy with no upper limit, which theories for or against I am not addressing (and will not, so don't bother).

In short, I have not yet seen any compelling reason for flat tax other than that rich people want out of yet more taxes and that poor people are too uneducated, lazy, or just plain tired to want to handle the "complex" tax system we have now.

Lastly: "Of course, none of this speaks to the core issue of whether it makes sense to desire a tax rate related to disposable income. Maybe that can be another post." I can see a problem with the practicality of it, yes. But I cannot see a problem with either the rationality of it or the morality of it. I admit that attempting such a tax scale would fail, but I wasn't advocating such in the first place. I'm only demonstrating why flat tax is not flat and why our tax rates as they currently stand are unfairly regressive against the poor. Does not everyone agree that any law should not only make sense, but be enforceable and just?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your original post:

For the exercise, we will say that all necessary expenditures are $1200 a month. That includes rent, car, groceries, utilities, toiletries, etc. Joe's montly income is $1600 a month gross, $1440 net.

I'm not seeing anywhere in that where you said anything about lunar and solar months. If you had said $300 a week for expenditures, then your numbers add up. But that's not what you said. You said $1200 a month. It's silly to assume someone would take that at anything other than $1200 a month, especially since we all know that we do our bills per month. I stand by my assertion that based on your description of the problem, your numbers were wrong. Your example would be much clearer and more accurate if you stuck to only weekly or monthly numbers.

And yes, a flat tax with an exemption of $15000 would still be regressive against the very poorest. But for the large majority of Americans, it would be a fair tax, one where almost everyone paid the same rate. Because the number of those this type of tax would be regressive against would be relatively small, it would be easy to add a means tested way to eliminate that regression.

You linked to a report showing that people believed they pay too much in taxes. A flat tax lowers most people's taxes if structured correctly. That to me is what we're all looking for. And that to me would be a law that makes sense, is imminently enforceable and definitely just.

Scotch

Nat-Wu said...

Actually, I did say I took that into account when I said Joe makes 1600 a month on a 4 week paycheck. How many days is 4 weeks? 28. So the math works if you relate the cost of living on a daily level or weekly or monthly, but because of our weird discrepancy between calendar months and years, you can't relate them. And to uphold that your numbers are right because you simply missed that point is absurd. Get real. Most people do pay bills month to month, but what companies normally do is factor in the two or three extra days of any month into next month's bill. If you think your phone company isn't charging you for every day, that's naive. Therefore, you have a yearly COL that adds up to 13 months. And like I said, I think I'll trust my own math skills.

You missed the point that it's regressive against everyone. That is, those right above the exemption limit pay the highest percentage and those at the highest end will pay the lowest percentage. How are you going to fix that? By making the exemption higher? Well guess what, by the very structure of your tax, there's nothing you can do to make your tax less regressive. For any numbers I plug in, the people right above the exemption limit will pay the most in tax. The IRS would have to take the tax benchmark from the highest earner in America, then cut everyone's percentage to match that. That's a ridiculous system. We don't need to fix our broken system with one that doesn't work either.

Actually, the solution is pretty simple: tax rich people more. Regarding the study that I linked, you say that most people believed they paid too much in taxes. Well the percentages were 48% did believe, and 44% did not believe (in the '06 numbers). That's not incredibly strong. Of course right below it is this question: "Do you regard the income tax which you will have to pay this year as fair?" 60% answered that they thought it was fair. And most people responded that they thought taxes on middle-income people were fair, taxes on lower-income unfair, and taxes on higher-income especially unfair.

I would not say this indicates everyone feels they pay too much in taxes. Be that as it may, it's still not the solution to tax everyone less. The solution is to tax the rich more. And according to the numbers, most people would be happier if we did that. So why not let's give them what they want?

You keep talking as if cutting taxes is the best thing for this country. I hate to break the news, but we have to pay off the debt, fund the military and the general government and a whole host of things. Again, where would that money come from if we just didn't tax people? What about federal expenditures on interstate highways that move goods and directly relate to the wealth of the economy? What about anti-terrorism programs run by the federal government? What about the Food and Drug Administration? What, do you want pills being prescribed based on "Merck says it's safe"?

adam said...

Excellent rebuttals.

Anonymous said...

It's only regressive because you've codified that in your model. In the first example, you had no exemption. Obviously, this is regressive but it's also not reality. No tax code would have zero exemptions. In your second, it's regressive because the exemption is less than your COL. As soon as you tie the exemption to the COL, it's no longer regressive. Try it out. Plug an exemption of 15600 in to your model and see what you get. I think you'll find a true flat tax as it's related to COL.

I've looked back at what I've written and I don't see anywhere that I advocated paying less taxes. That's all a strawman you've set up. I'm arguing that a flat tax, done correctly, is fair, not regressive and can be done without lowering government revenue.

Scotch

Nat-Wu said...

Well, it could be that it's "codified" in my model because my model accurately reflects the reality that "equal" taxes aren't when compared to percentages of money above cost of living. Of course if you don't factor any COL into the equation, you can convince yourself that such taxes are flat or progressive. However, a minimum cost of living is a reality, and therefore it MUST be factored in, and as long as you do that people's percentages of disposable income will vary in proportion. Least income has proportionally least D. That's just the way it is.

Also, your point about the exemption is something I already answered. You think that because an exemption of 15600 drives Joe's taxes to 0% that makes the tax not regressive. In truth that's just the point where the line crosses the origin. There is no number there at all. But again, if you do the equation correctly, the taxes hit hardest those RIGHT ABOVE the exemption limit. If you take an exemption of 15600 and an income of 31201, you get an actual tax rate of 10.5%. Bill's, forget it not, is still 10%. Still regressive. And that is the case no matter how large an exemption you give. So try that.

Actually you have advocated paying less taxes. You think Bill Gates should pay 10% instead of 30%. In what world is 10% equal to 30%? In a real world case again, let's take President Bush. He paid just over 30% amounting to $187,768. At 10%, that would be $61,869. That's a difference of $125,899. How is that not less money? And what, do you advocate a flat tax at which rate the richest would still pay as much, let's just say about 40%, which would have everyone paying the same percentage? For a flat tax to maintain the same income level as a progressive tax but not exceed it, it would have to raise taxes on the poorest and lower taxes on the richest.

To demonstrate: Man 1 makes $500,000. Man 2 makes $40,000. Man 1 pays 30% in taxes, or $150,000. Man 2 pays 15% in taxes, or $6000. The total is $156,000. Man 1 pays 96.15% of the total taxes. Man 2 pays 3.85% of the total taxes. In order for both men to pay the same rate in tax but for the tax revenue to be the same, both men would have to pay a 28.89% tax rate. Man 1 would pay $144,444. Man 2 would pay $11,556.

"I don't see anywhere that I advocated paying less taxes. That's all a strawman you've set up. I'm arguing that a flat tax, done correctly, is fair, not regressive and can be done without lowering government revenue."

You may argue, but you're wrong in that. You have two options with the flat tax: reduce revenue streams or set such a high "flat" rate that you're disproportionately burdening the lower-income taxpayer. And again, don't argue with me about exemptions. Unless you intend to set the exemption above $250,000, you're hitting the vast majority of Americans with the lion's share of the tax burden.

Once again, there is no possibility that a flat tax can work. It is not mathematically possible.

Anonymous said...

I'll try this one more time because I like pain. This is your formula:

T=(G*R)/D

You say this is regressive, always will be no matter what. I say with an exemption equal to the cost of living, it's never regressive, that it's actually truly flat. Let's see how this works out.

E=Exemption
C=Cost of Living
D=G-C
C=E

New formula:
T=(G-E)R/G-E
G-E factors out leaving only R.

Maybe a concrete example of your own choosing would help.

G=31201
E=15600
R=.1
C=15600
D=15601

T=(31201-15600)*.1/15601=.1

I have no idea where you got 10.5%. I've tried to solve for D in that equation and I get something very strange. How did you get 10.5%?

As for everything else, it's all pointless to discuss it until we can come to terms with the math. But I never said the tax rate would be 10%, you chose that for ease of calculations. This is all so much theory until we can discuss it from the same vantage point. I'd be glad to hear why you don't agree with the math above. I'm hardly infallible and am open for instruction. Lemme know what you come up with.

Scotch

Nat-Wu said...

Coming back to this after a few months, I just want to point out that this guy never bothered to answer any of the challenges I made to flat tax. As I already said, even if my math was wrong and the flat tax truly was flat, why is that a better system of taxation?