Friday, July 14, 2006

Finally!

I know this is way more local than we usually cover, but I have to blog this story because it just makes me so happy. The city of Irving is going to join the other cities that have red-light cameras, which means I'll finally get to go without having to wait for four cars to run the red in front of me. Maybe it's not the biggest issue in the world, but hey, Irving is a low-crime city anyway and if we have the money to stop things like this, then I'm all for it.

Irving officials say numerous intersections on state highways are accident hot spots because of red-light runners, including State Highway 114 at State Highway 161 and Belt Line Road at State Highway 183.


I have been reading, however, that red light cameras don't actually reduce crashes, and even been seen as being responsible for more crashes!

That seems really counter-intuitive, but hey, statistics don't lie (heh heh). Anyway, read and judge for yourself. In any case, Irving will get more money, and being a city employee, I'm still all for that.

1 comment:

Alexander Wolfe said...

Hmmm...I'd like to see them instituted around these parts to a greater extent, then we should do a study of them here. That result seems so counter-intuitive that you have to wonder if there's some unknown factor that they failed to account for.

Regardless, they do seem to bring in the dough!