Tuesday, October 30, 2007

What the Hell?

Despite the rather obvious benefits for a male such as myself, I have never really been a fan of the trend that encourages all adult women to dress as sexy Pirates/Nurses/Librarians/Teachers/Devils/Angels etc., etc., at Halloween parties (though who can blame them, since nowadays those seem to be the only costumes on sale at your average retailer.) But now the movement has infiltrated teenage and pre-teen girls, who also seem to believe that trick-or-treating requires flashing a little navel or leg. To that I say, enough. If saving young girls from overt sexualization in our culture means requiring adult women to once again dress up as frumpy ghosts and entirely un-sexy witches at parties, then I'm prepared to live with that.

And yes, this appears to be the first Halloween-themed post at TWM ever. For making it a grumpy one, you have my apologies. In exchange, here's a story about real pirates...of the decidedly un-sexy sort.

No comments: