Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Indeed, Nerds are Ascendant

When Ta-Nahisi Coates, an otherwise highly regarded blogger for the Atlantic, can write this:

It's funny because I've actually seen relationships come out of online gaming. When I used to play Everquest back in the day, I ran with two Wood Elves (I was a Euridite wizard. Even when I'm fantasizing, I'm a black nerd) who were hooked up in real life. I only figured this out as I hung out with them more. Whenever we'd go to Karnor's or the City Of Mist, this dude would follow us. Later the couple told me the dude was the girl's ex--in real life. They used to game together, but she met this other dude (the other Wood Elf) and left her man to move in with him. That just blew me away--but it really shouldn't. Virtual communication is a lot like real communication.

Granted, I still don't see regular discussion of non-digital role playing games outside of the nerd-blogger community. This is probably due to the fact that the RPG community is also populated by dorks, who do not enjoy the reputation for intellectual achievement that their nerd/geek peers do. We can only ask society to accept so much from us outcasts.   

No comments: