Thursday, April 23, 2009

Out to Win

Via Mike Fisher, an interesting Q&A with Mark Cuban, owner of the Dallas Mavericks. Frankly, I was astonished by this excerpt:

When the Forbes magazine NBA team figures came out earlier this year, I was surprised to see the Mavericks actually lost money [$13.6 million] last year. Is that accurate?

Yeah. We've lost money most of the years.

Is that because of your willingness to take on larger payrolls?

I'd rather win than make more money. I've got money. I'd just rather win.

You say you have lost money most years?

Yeah, I think we've made money two years.

As successful as the Mavericks have been (317-straight sellouts) I'm astounded by that. According to the Star Telegram article-citing Forbes magazine-linked to just above, Cuban has actually lost $137 million in his term as owner of the team. The man has his foibles no doubt (Dancing with the Stars, for one) but no one can question his commitment. We as fans are lucky to have him. Now hopefully, his team will go out and reward him for his dedication with a win at home tonight.

No comments: