Thursday, December 04, 2008

Obama was elected so there's not really any racism, right?

Sigh...how I wish it was true. Just because white entertainers don't run around in blackface anymore and expect "coloreds" to sit in the back of the bus, folks (white folks mainly) insist that racism is over and done with. And seemingly all white guilt has been suddenly expiated as if black Jesus just died on the cross for their sins because now this kind of thing is just a joke instead of a racial slur:

Night Befo Crizzmus

Wus da night afo' Crizzmus, and all thru da hood,
everybody be sleepin' and da sleepin' be good.
We hunged up our stockins, an hoped like all heck,
dat dear Ol' Obama's, gunna brang us our checks.

All of da family, was ly'in on the flow,
my sister wif her gurlfriend, and my brother wif some hoe.
Ashtrays was all full , empty beer cans and all
when I heared such a fuss, I thunk...."Sh'eet, it must be da law".


I will not quote the rest, but if you want to see it, just google it. It seems to be quite popular right now. This is one of the most disgusting and blatant examples of racist mockery I've ever had the misfortune to see, and to know that I know some people who actually think this is funny disturbs me greatly. It also suggests to me that racism is still very pervasive in our society, even though most racists are well-trained enough not to say this kind of stuff out loud anymore.

Ah, yes, how is this related to Obama? I got this from a source who got it from a coworker who is a lifelong Democrat...who didn't vote for Obama. And yet insists that she's not a racist. And I know she didn't fall in love with McCain suddenly and did think Palin was a nutjob... but couldn't vote for the black candidate. Hmm, I wonder why that might be!

Sadly, this isn't even the same lady who freely uses the phrase, "They tried to jew me down" and suggested I should do a rain dance for an event. Nor are these two the only ones we know who think that those kinds of remarks and this kind of "joke" are acceptable or funny.

Just by way of clarification, if you think this "poem" is funny, yeah, you're racist. If you think it's true that black people are all criminals and deviants, you're a racist. It's one thing to insult Obama; he can take it. It's another to typify an entire race of people as nothing but a collection of negative stereotypes. That's called racism, and it's never funny. If you think it's ok to be racist and you're into white power, well, f*** you but I respect that. If you think it's not ok to be racist but this kind of joke isn't really racist and it's a bit funny anyway, well, all you get is the f*** you.

Will we ever move past this kind of simplistic racial thinking? Probably, but not as quickly as we would be if morons weren't still trying to perpetuate racial sterotypes.

In other news about Republicans (ooh, segue burn!) this guy just became chairman of the Texas College Republicans. Why is this a bad thing? Well, because his idea of a reasonable political demonstration is to burn the flags of Iran and N. Korea. Do I have to point out that if we get enraged at the thought of them burning our flags because we take it as an insult and threatening gesture, perhaps that's not actually an appropriate method to open political discourse? But then again, being a Republican I doubt he's actually interested in opening up a reasonable discourse with anybody who disagrees with his politics.

Alright, that's enough rambling. Go forth and destroy evil, you freedom-loving liberals!

No comments: