1. A poignant article about how real life-and cheap-ass taxpayers-can get in the way of students living their dreams. Maybe she wouldn't make it to Juilliard, but why can't she have every opportunity to explore her talent while also getting a useful degree?
2. Randy Cohen, writing about how we should only have so much tolerance for the beliefs and practices of other culture.
3. I can't remember if I linked to this already, but the NY Times had this worrisome piece about Pakistan's instability in last Sunday's magazine. You can be rest assured that if Pakistan falls to pieces, the Taliban in Afghanistan will be the least of our worries.
4. Gun nuts protest even the most minor of tracking measures designed to help law enforcement prevent the flow of weapons to Mexican drug cartels.
5. CIA Intelligence officials bitch and moan about the release of OLC memos related to torture, threaten to hold their breaths and turn blue if the Obama administration follows through on its promise.
6. Via War & Piece, NY Times reveals that NSA has-surprise-exceeded it's Congressional authority in eavesdropping on Americans. I suppose supports the Obama administration's that there should be absolutely no judicial oversight of NSA wiretapping whatsoever.