Friday, July 30, 2004

Is It November Yet?

Last night, John Kerry gave his acceptance speech for the Democratic nomination for President.  We here all believed it was a great speech, and that Kerry did what he needed to do to sell himself to undecideds. From the few I saw on the media channels last night, it looks to be so. We will see in the coming days what kind of bounce John Kerry gets from his speech and how long it lasts. For right now, I want to discuss the speech itself. I was certainly, like many others, impressed with the strength of the speech, that he didn't shy away from Democratic values like so many others, and that Kerry seemed like a new man. He seemed more comfortable, more personable, more presidential. He seemed ready. Last night made me truly proud this guy is the Democratic nominee and I will proud to call him President.
 
I have collected some highlights from the speech below:
 
"I'm John Kerry, and I'm reporting for duty!"
 
"There is nothing more pessimistic than saying America can't do better."
 
"Now I know there are those who criticize me for seeing complexities and I do because some issues just aren't all that simple. Saying there are weapons of mass destruction in Iraq doesn't make it so. Saying we can fight a war on the cheap doesn't make it so. And proclaiming mission accomplished certainly doesn't make it so."
 
"As President, I will bring back this nation's time-honored tradition: the United States of America never goes to war because we want to, we only go to war because we have to. "
 
"We are here to affirm that when Americans stand up and speak their minds and say America can do better, that is not a challenge to patriotism; it is the heart and soul of patriotism."
 
"That flag doesn't belong to any president. It doesn't belong to any ideology and it doesn't belong to any political party. It belongs to all the American people."
 
"I want an America that relies on its own ingenuity and innovation, not the Saudi royal family. "
 
"Let's honor this nation's diversity; let's respect one another; and let's never misuse for political purposes the most precious document in American history, the Constitution of the United States."
 
"Maybe some just see us divided into red states and blue states, but I see us as one America red, white, and blue."
 
"I don't want to claim that God is on our side. As Abraham Lincoln told us, I want to pray humbly that we are on God's side. "

No comments: